Friday, April 2, 2010

post op day 56 - racing stripes

Energy level: Good
Pain level: 1

The only pain for today is that “sand in my shoe” annoyance of the screw head rubbing against my Achilles tendon. 2 Tylenol in the late morning

Hooray! It’s my first day of real physical therapy! The therapist is impressed with my overall flexibility which I contribute to a regular yoga practice. He puts me though a variety of moves which determines that indeed the ankle and calf are stiff and weak. He also comments that the low swelling is evidence of a well done surgery.

He asks if I am in any pain and I explain the biggest issue I have is the sensation of the Achilles tendon rubbing against the screw head.He starts work on the scar tissue and like magic, his massaging fingers free the hardened tissue. Ahhhh relief! As a bonus, I get bring pink tape on the back of my leg. I don’t quite understand the benefit, but the relief lasts all day!

JP has been extremely patient watching the physical therapist manipulate my foot all morning. I am every so grateful for his support and tender care throughout this ordeal.  He is certainly deserving of sainthood and a gold medal for patience.  I ask if he found the session to be interesting and it turns out that his favorite part was watching the therapist manhandle the scar tissue to release the fibers. It seems like only yesterday that I was screaming out in pain as JP ever so gently dabbed my wound with a cotton ball. I may have even accused his gaze to have been too heavy upon my foot just a mere month ago. We are both glad to be beyond that phase.



No comments:

Post a Comment