Saturday, April 3, 2010

post op day 57 - pt abc's

Energy level:  low - tired after full week of work at the office
Pain level:  0 for physical pain
                 3 for headaches

Inversion, Eversion, Plantar Flexion, Dorsiflexion and Gastroc Stretches, oh my!

Thanks to the skilled hands of the physical therapist I feel free of the scar tissue that was sticking to the screws and I can really progress with my exercises.  The physical therapy prescribed to me really feels like my restorative yoga class so all the motions feel familiar and I'm looking forward to getting back into an exercise rhythm. However, the truth is, I have one of those minds that wanders. The reason I love going to a class is so that the instructor can lead the exercises which enables me to focus on meditation.

I find the most difficult task with physical therapy is keeping track of the reps and sets. JP comes up with an ingenious idea! For set one, I count 1 - 7, for set two, I count 21 - 27, set three 31- 37 and final set four is 41 - 47.  Works like a charm!

The ankle rotations and pretty standard, but the most surprising exercise is tracing the alphabet with my feet. At first I groan with boredom, but wait... what is that new release I feel after the letter "K" and "R"??? and "Q" ? That's a delight too! This alphabet exercise has the most immediate reward - totally unexpected.


Today was brought to you by the letter "O" and ankle rotations!

No comments:

Post a Comment