Friday, April 9, 2010

post op day 63 - good ol' shoe

Energy level: good!
Pain level: 0-1
(occasional mild stabbing pain in the Achilles tendon area)

I got to put a shoe on my left foot today! Hooray!!!

Incidentally, it is the very same shoe last put on that foot on the morning of the injury, January 31st. Ironically, a Salomon Snow Clog is the ideal shoe to recover from my ski accident. The shoe is so ideal that I wish I had a second pair, but the original Snow Clog has been discontinued. (Perhaps because “clogs” is a misnomer? - The backs of the heels in these “clogs” are fully covered.)

Here’s what makes them especially well suited for the job:

_rounded heel and toe promotes heel to toe walking that I am practicing with the crutches
_amazing arch and heel support which distributes the pressure away from the heel – ahhh!
_pull tab on the back of the shoe helps with getting the shoe on my swollen heel
_no tongue or material to hinder forward flexing – forward flexing is extremely difficult for me right now and is one of the key points preventing me from walking.
_the best feature of all: wet suit material around the base of the ankle gives just the right amount of snugness to keep my ankle in place without grinding against my heel as most stiff backed shoes would.


The size difference in the two feet is immediately evident. The shoe just barely slides over the nylon knee high on my left foot while the right foot still has some wiggle room in a big bulky wool sock.

It feels like I am standing in heaven and I am ready to burn the boot! This is much better than bare feet -which puts too much pressure on the heel and side of the foot and immensely better than the evil boot that throws off the alignment of my entire body.

But then… the good doctor bursts my bubble… the shoe is only for home use. I have to use the boot anytime I go outside. In the event of a slip or fall, the iron guards that run up the length of the boot will prevent the ankle from twisting and further injury. An iron cage for my own good.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: This boot was NOT made for walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment