Thursday, April 8, 2010

post op day 62 - wii challenge

Energy level: ok
Pain level: 1

Walking is a challenge – and that is with crutches! My goal is to walk with one crutch – how hard can that be?

This sparks the idea to try out the Wii Fit to really test my balance.

I quickly discover that the Wii Fit was not made for one legged folk. It takes many tries just to get the darn thing to register me. It accuses me of “fidgeting!” It also berates me for my hiatus. How’s that for a “welcome back”?

After a few tries I figure out the trick is to trick the board into thinking that I have equal weight on both legs. This means leaning heavily on my left crutch and trying to ensure that the board feels equal pounds of pressure from each foot. Once it recognizes that I’m on the board I try to put a little pressure on the crutches so that it can measure my “balance”.

The results are fascinating! Although I am standing on two feet, I’m only putting 25% of my weight on my left foot and my right foot is supporting a whopping 75% of my weight!

Wow!

It “feels” like I’m even 50/50 but the measuring device says otherwise. I speculate that the swelling of all the soft tissue makes 25% of my weight squeeze down on everything the same as 50% of my weight.

Wow!

Thank you Wii Fit! This information is most helpful!

I’ve come a long way baby, but I’ve got a lot more to go!


Wow!

Thank you Wii Fit! This information is most helpful!

I’ve come a long way baby, but I’ve got a lot more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment