Wednesday, April 7, 2010

post op day 61 - plantar fascia

Energy level: good
Pain level: 1

Overall feeling pretty good -except one tiny spot on the bottom of the foot in the center of the heel which feels like I'm walking on a thumbtack.

 Physical therapy is coming along. I wake up with general aches, but the most unusual sensation is when I try to walk. I have a numb pain on the outer part of the sole of the foot. The physical therapist tells me that is might be "plantar fasciitis". He performed some ultrasound therapy on the bottom of the foot to get the cells stimulated.



Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the plantar fascia which is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue that runs along the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. I really need to work on that dorsiflexion! (flexing the toes toward the ankle)

Contrast baths may also help bring oxygen back into the foot and stimulate nerve growth. My left foot is still an unsightly shade of blue every morning.


Doing the dorsiflexion: point toes to the ceiling and flex foot towards shin.





No comments:

Post a Comment