Thursday, April 22, 2010

post op day 76 - step back

Energy level: good
Pain level: 0 for non weight bearing

Time to take a step back and gain some perspective before I take a step forward. 

I'm happy that my bone is fully healed and today I at least make the effort to go though the motion of putting my foot to the ground heal to toe - I'm not ready to try even 10% just yet.  Better luck tomorrow. 

This chart gives a little "bone" perspective. 

Bone Broken Time for it to Heal
Collar bone (clavicle).................3-8 weeks
Shoulder blade (scapula)...........6 weeks
Ribs........................................4 weeks
Upper arm (humerus)................4-10 weeks
Lower arm (radius,ulna).............6 weeks
Wrist ......................................4-12 weeks
Fingers....................................4-6 weeks
Pelvis .....................................4 - 6 weeks
Upper leg (femur).....................12 weeks
Knee (patella) ..........................4-6 weeks
Lower leg (tibia,fibula)...............10-24 weeks
Ankle.......................................6 weeks
Foot.........................................3 - 12 weeks
Toes........................................3 weeks

A nice track record - evidence of recovery for those who feel like this will never end!

hum... it's funny how it's hard to find information about the "heel bone".

At least I'm in the normal range for the bone recovery.  A little information from about.com makes me feel better about my calcaneus (heel bone) injury.

"Patients will be required to keep weight off of the foot for as long as three months!" 

It's less than three months since injury #1 and 4 days since injury #2.  The swelling is gone but the pain remains.

Time to take a step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment