Saturday, April 17, 2010

post op day 71 - bike trainer

Energy level: good – extreme fatigue
Pain level:  0 - 2

My bike has a trainer.

Why does my bike need a trainer?  Well, it’s not so the bike can get in shape; it is so I can get back in shape!

Turns out that you can get an over priced piece of metal and a flywheel and turn any bike into a stationary bike.

Why they call it a “bike trainer” is beyond me.

JP sets up the bike trainer and before you know it, I’m going nowhere fast next to the rosebush.

I love feeling the sun on my skin and the fragrant flowers in the air.  I’m plugged into my tunes and ready to roll.

The first 30 seconds go pretty smooth before I realize the difference between a true stationary bike and bike riding. 

The stationary bike at the doctor’s office has a reclining seat the supports the full weight of my body so that the focus is on leg movement.

A real bike’s seat is designed for monetary rests as the pedals support most of the body weight.

I’m not ready to support my body weight equally with both legs and that bike seat is really uncomfortable.  This comes as a shock because in the 10 years that I’ve had this bike I’ve never thought that the seat was particularly uncomfortable.  I borrow one of the many throw pillows from the couch to cushion the “ride”.  It’s better, but not as pleasant as the stationary bike at the doctor’s office.

I do 10 minutes and then need a 20 minute rest.  I’m feeling like a wimp because as I reminisce about leisurely two hour bike rides I used to take around the local lake.

After a second 10 minute ride I take another 20 minute cat nap in the sun.  Already, I’m a tiny bit achy.  I decide that a warm bath will help relax the muscles.

This helps a little…

I spend the rest of the day in bed exhausted from this “ride”.  Two Tylenol are also necessary.

Wow!  This is not what I had expected.  Perhaps my expectations were too high?  Was it was the dream last night where I just threw off the crutches and started walking and thought to myself “This isn’t hard, why was I making such a big deal out of nothing?”

Well, it is hard.  Much harder than I ever dreamed. 

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."   

Thank you Nietzsche, but, it sure does make me tired!



2 comments:

  1. I believe I saw some quotes from the Meaning of Life AND HGTTG earlier in the blog. Impressive! So it only takes two and a half months after surgery to get on a stationary bike and kill yourself all over again? Yeesh! Can't wait... Keep fightin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always look on the bright side of life! ;)

    ReplyDelete