Friday, May 14, 2010

post op day 98 - pt & cane

Energy level: Normal
Pain level: 2

It’s not normal to have this much swelling. The Physical Therapist says that I ought to consult with a podiatrist.

The pain I have on the left top of my foot is due to walking off balance. I find this funny since my Sketchers Shape Ups shoes are *designed* to make me walk off-balance. The concept behind these shoes is that every off-balance step requires various muscles to engage to maintain balance, thus putting all those lazy muscles to use! Knowing that this soreness is due to engaging the muscles on the top of my foot is oddly comforting. Hum…. I never really considered having muscles on the top of my foot before. When I think of feet, I think of bones and ligaments …. the plantar fascia and…. Now: muscles! I find it fascinating that muscles that are so tiny compared to a meaty bicep do so much work.


I know that I walk funny, but the Physical Therapist likes my walk. He says it’s time to move on to the cane! Woo hoo!

I had been dreading the ugly dull gray cane, so I am pleasantly surprised when he pulls out a purple floral cane. It’s absolutely gaudy and I love it!

We’re talking about cycling and he tell me, in the nicest way possible, that I’m a bit of a whimp. (like I didn't already know!)  After a vigorous workout on the stationary bike he suggested that I do the Ocean Beach Bike Path this weekend… but then quickly retracts that with: “well, mentally, you are not ready for that.”  Indeed, after falling off the stationary bike and having a sprain that was just as painful as the break, I won't be taking the bike on the open road until I can fully trust my left foot again.

Today’s challenge: can I make it to work with only a cane? Yes I can!  However, after just an 1/8 a mile I’m felling the swelling and dreaming of ice.

It's Friday night and it's high time to go out for diner and a movie.  It's nice to end a long week with dragon rolls and training dragons.  I'm sure that working with dragons will be a piece of cake with my new pretty sparkly cane.

No comments:

Post a Comment