Friday, May 7, 2010

post op day 91 - clutch

Energy level: good
Pain level:  1 for 100% weight bearing

I just discovered another tool for physical therapy!  The clutch! 

If I had automatic, I would have been driving weeks ago.  It is only now that I feel confident that I have the strength and flexibility to work the clutch without being a safety hazard on the road.

Last week’s taxi disaster left me feeling helpless and has driven me to take matters back into my hands and drive myself to physical therapy.  I know that my ankle is weak, but I didn’t really know how weak it was until I attempt to push in the clutch peddle.  It takes a little more effort than I expected.

Interestingly enough, one of my new exercises at the PT’s office is a very similar motion to working the clutch, except this time I have to pump my body weight on a sliding platform.  My ankle trembles with weakness on even the smallest incline. 

Wow!  I never really thought of my ankles having muscles before!  I think it is because the calves get all the attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment