Wednesday, May 12, 2010

post op day 96 - sleeping splint

Energy level: Normal
Pain level: 2

It is so great to be back using public transit! However, the ½ mile walk is causing some swelling. The ice packs in the lunchroom fridge give a little extra incentive to make it down that last block to work.

I have a lunch appointment with the creepy prosthesis shop for a night splint. It turns out that at night I’ve been undoing all my efforts to stretch the foot during the day. This night splint will prevent my foot going to its natural neutral sleeping position.

They call it plantar fasciitis, but I call it the hobbling effect. Apparently my foot fibers cramp up when the foot is in a neutral position. The fibers adapted this behavior due to being non-weight bearing. I suppose this is equivalent to the foot going into self preservation fetal position. The foot lives on, but without flexible plantar fascia fibers, it ceases to fully function.

The folks at the prosthesis shop are in a cheery mood, and that just adds to the feeling that I’ve stepped into the twilight zone. I guess I’m just used to doctor’s offices being so neat and sterile. I have to blink twice when the fitter tells me to have a seat on the padded table that is cluttered with children’s books, toys and a tiny pink prosthesis shoe insert. There is a mysterious clear liquid… water I hope... with tiny muddy foot prints.

My new night splint is eclectic blue which makes me think of Debbie Gibson.

It’s been years since I’ve lived in this part of time and I decide to take MUNI back to work. Oh, how I’ve missed the aroma and the colorful characters of the 38 Geary bus. I love that all the recorded messages are in English, then Mandarin, then Spanish and that the smiling, petite Chinese grandmother almost ends up sitting on my lap with every lurch of the bus. She seems to be enjoying the ride.

By the end of this excursion, ice and two Tylenol are needed to dull the irritation so I can focus on work.

No comments:

Post a Comment