Tuesday, May 4, 2010

post op day 88 - h2o aerobics

Energy level: Great!
Pain level: 0 for non weight bearing
                1 for 50% weight bearing

I really look forward to the leaps and bounds of progress that are a result of my Water Aerobics class.  There are several exercises where I still favor my leg, but I’m feeling real gains in flexibility which is the secret key to walking. 

This ordeal constantly reminds me of my instructor’s observation of teaching at the old folks home where seniors shuffle around because they can no longer bend their ankles forward.  In fact, I recall watching my grandmother trip and fall over a small rug because she was shuffling instead lifting her feet.  That frightful fall resulted in a broken hip.  Not flexing at the ankle is dangerous!  I’m thankful that this water aerobics course gives me the opportunity to go though the full motion of walking while my leg slowly regains its strength.

After class I’m chatting with a girl about passions and hobbies.  She asks if skiing is my motivation for getting better.

Well, actually, no. 

My motivation is to be able to walk with free hands.

My dream, my goal is nothing more than to be able to carry a glass of water across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment