Friday, February 12, 2010

Post Op Day 7 - surgeon says

Energy level: caterpillar in a cocoon
Pain level: pain – it’s normal to feel this way after foot surgery

The good doctor called today to check in on me.  That was so thoughtful and nice!  When I ask if it is normal to be in so much pain, he plainly states that I’ll be taking the Oxycodone for three weeks.

I should continue to rest, ice, elevate and take the meds.  That is all that can be done for now.

Surly, millions of people have had foot surgery.  Why isn’t there a timetable for recovery?  HR wants a date for my return and I want to go to Las Vegas.

There is a training seminar in Vegas in six weeks and I ask if I’ll be able to go.  He says that that should be ok, but anyone flying so soon after surgery should take some aspirin prior to the flight to reduce the chance for blood clots.

“So soon after surgery”

That phrase really strikes me.

Six weeks seems like a lifetime away, caterpillars turn into butterflies in less time.  Yet…  he refers to it as though it would be just a few days after surgery.

And why would I be at risk for blood clots in six weeks?  That implies that things won’t be completely reconnected by then.

With a heavy heart, I inform my boss to remove my name from the trip.

I won’t be taking chances in Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment