Saturday, June 5, 2010

post op day 120 - hot yoga

Energy level: Normal
Pain level: 0 - 1

Bikram Yoga changed my life 7 years ago. I was lucky enough when a studio opened across the street from my office. I practiced 5 days a week for 3 years. I gained focus and flexibility and lost 50 pounds! Life was good. Then, sadly at the height of the housing bubble, the building's owner tripled the rent which forced the studio to shut down.

Since then, I've continued a yoga practice with a different studio - but it just isn't the same. The Restorative Yoga that I switched to does not have a strength or aerobic component and I gained 20 pounds back before I sought out another Bikram studio I could go to on the weekends. I had just finished a few weeks in my new Bikram studio before I broke my heel. Being inactive for 4 months has added another 10 pounds and I'm determined more than ever to get back in shape.

Step one is regaining the strength and flexibility needed to balance on one leg. My right leg leaps back into action just about where I left off 4 months ago. My recovering left leg… well… that’s another matter.

Today all I want to be is the best tree I can be! 
Toe stand will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment