Thursday, June 3, 2010

post op day 118 – cold turkey

Energy level: normal
Pain level: 0 for most of the day - 1.5 after a half mile walk

My physical therapist likes the way that I walk. I have a minor limp, but he thinks I should go cold turkey and tells me to ditch the cane. He also gives me a “clean bill of health” and sets me on my way.

Physical therapy has officially come to an end. Or, Rather there’s nothing more they can do for me; they have taught me all that they can.

I didn’t expect it to end like this. I thought there be a few more “let’s see you in three weeks”. I leave my pretty purple cane at their office to pass on to the next gimpy gal.

Without the cane I feel like I have lost my security blanket. Simultaneously, I feel awash with sense of freedom and loss.

The only thing holding me back now is that bloody plantar fasciitis. It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.  His best guess is that I’ll recover from plantar fasciitis in 6 – 9 months.

I’m not going to wait around for that! Most of my physical therapy has consisted of strategic stretches to regain a normal range of motion. Hum... sounds just like yoga! I prescribe for myself a full yoga regiment.

Slow and steady stretching wins the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment